qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about tun/tap networking

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about tun/tap networking
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 16:22:33 -0400

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 01:45:04PM +0200, Arne Bernin wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 05:09, Jim C. Brown wrote:
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> > I recommend using vde by Renzo Davoli instead of the default tuntap.
> > I am able to network 2 instances of windows 98 (in separate qemu's) and
> > minix 2.0.4 (in a hand-modified bochs). It worked without a hitch, and all
> > the machines are on the same subnet.
> >
> > You still need forwarding to let the virtual machines see the lan or the
> > internet, however. The plus with vde is that you don't need to set up
> > routing
> > for all these different tunN devices. (I use the Shorewall firewall, and
> > using
> > tun was a pain...vde means I just have to set up routing and masquerading
> > for tap0, instead of for tun0, tun1, tun2, ...)
> >
> may you tell me how you set up your vde network ? I downloaded vde,
> installed it, bootet 2 qemus (on the same subnet) and tried to ping each
> other... I does not work, but i can ping the host they run on using a
> tap0 device, and see the who-has... arp stuff while running tcpdump on
> tap0. So it would be very interesting how you configured your vde_switch
> qemu setup for multiple machines on the same vde_switch.
>
> thanks,
>           arne

[/space/qemu/qemu-0.5.4/ $] su root
[/space/qemu/qemu-0.5.4/ #] vde_switch -daemon -tap tap0
[/space/qemu/qemu-0.5.4/ #] ifconfig tap0 192.168.1.254
[/space/qemu/qemu-0.5.4/ #] chmod 777 /tmp/vde.ctl
[/space/qemu/qemu-0.5.4/ #] exit
[/space/qemu/qemu-0.5.4/ $] vdeq qemu -hda disk1.img

This works, not only can I ping 2 different machines on the vde, I can also
ping the LAN from the vde, and vice versa. (ifconfig seems to set up
routing automagicly. Or was it something I put into shorewall...)

Note that for teh guest OS, you need to set up 192.168.1.254 as the default
gateway
for just about everything.