qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows 2000 installation problem

From: Leigh Dyer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows 2000 installation problem
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 13:52:25 +1000

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 20:08 -0700, Frederick Earl Gray wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> [First of all, let me say that I've tried to send this message a number
> of times in my usual way, and it has been continuously deferred with the
> message "451 Could not complete sender verify callout"...perhaps an overly
> aggressive spam filter?  I'm trying again through the University's webmail
> system...we'll see what happens.]
>
> I have been trying to install Win2K Pro on qemu (running under Debian
> "testing"
> on x86).  The installation almost makes it through, but not quite.  At the
> point where you can select optional Windows components, it shows 0.0 MB
> available disk space and simply won't let you proceed, no matter which
> components you select.  A screenshot is at
>    http://kaon.physics.berkeley.edu/~fegray/disk-full.png
>
> I've tried 1.5 GB and 2 GB partitions, and I've tried both today's CVS
> and the 0.5.3 release.  (In the latter, I commented out the initialization of
> the SB16 sound card and I applied Renzo Davoli's NE2000 patch and Mark
> Jonckheere's patch to suppress dummy mouse events.)  I tried both FAT and NTFS
> partition types.  Always the same results.

I've seen this problem as well - the last time was with a 2000Mb image
that I created using bximage. I tried another install on the same
machine, using dd to create a 3000Mb blank file to use as the disk
image, and that worked. The bximage image was essentially empty (ie:
used no space on disk until i started installing to it), whereas the dd
image was filled with zeros. I'm not sure why this would make any
difference though.

Just to confuse things, I tried using a 2000Mb bximage on another
machine, and Win2k installed without problems. It's not really fast
enough to be genuinely usable on my P3-800 at work, but on my Athlon XP
2200+ at home it's quick enough for basic tasks.

Thanks
Leigh