qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows 98 - hardware

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows 98 - hardware
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 00:38:42 +0200

Lean Fuglsang wrote:
This is no longer right. qemu-fast will be able someday to run all OSes, but the price to pay will be less security (the emulated user space code will be able to write to the QEMU cpu code).

Okay, as long as I can put qemu into a seperate user that is fine. And if Windows crashes, a virtual reboot is needed anyway.
How much performance gain is the in using qemu-fast? Is it something I
should look forward, or is it neglictible?

The performance gain will be important, especially for purely computational user tasks (close to native performances). The OS kernel itself will run at about the same speed as the 'standard' qemu.

To do better, a host kernel module will be needed, but I don't have the courage to do that yet.

(I don't dare to ask for the timeframe ;)

Yes, it is better not to ask :-)

Fabrice.