qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] W2K minor and not so minor hurdles

From: Jason Gress
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] W2K minor and not so minor hurdles
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 16:36:45 -0500

On Wednesday 05 May 2004 03:27 pm, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> Thank to your help, I have been able to attack the creation of a Win2K
> disk.
>
> It essentially works. But I met some booboos and I'm currently fighting
> some issues. Since I don't know what the booboos meant, They might well be
> the cause of my current problems.
>
> Setup : I made a Win2K SP4 boot disk starting with a W2K non-bootable disk
> and the instructions pointed at in a recent message
> (http://www.bink.nu/bootcd, iirc ...).
You got farther than I with SP4.  My SP1 CD installs without problem, however.

> I've made various attempts with qemu-cow disks varying from 1 to 4 GB in
> size and memory allocations varying from none (no -m option) to 512 Mb. The
>   booboos and problems are fairly consistent and reproductible.
>
> the first pass goes always OK : the disk is formatted (NTFS in all cases).
> The second pass starts well with a (lengthy) hardware detection phase, then
> a configuratioon phase (mostly national options for display, date/time, etc
> ...). Afterwards, the system tells me that the list of options to be
> installed is too long, and that I should modify this list. Whatever I'm
> doing (suppressing all possible options, for example), I end up with the
> need to install 21 Mb of options with 0 Mb available on the disk. So I
> abort the installation ("q" in the monitor).

I'm not sure of this exactly, but I did notice that after my install on a 4GB
image that every last byte was taken up by error logs in the C:
\WINNT\Security directory (if my memory serves).  Sorry if I didn't keep
them.. if anyone would like to see them I can reinstall if you like.  After
all, what's a couple of hours?  :P

> Restarting the very same installation  gives very curious results : the
> installer stards again, but the hardware detection phase seems much faster
> (sory, no hard data on this one, I didn't use a stopwatch ...) and the
> installation proceeds after the "national options" phase without further
> noise about a full disk. However, all is not rosy : during the "component
> installation", I have very consistently an error telling (backtranslated
> from French) :
>
> The COM+ subcomponent has raised an exception during processing of the
> installatio program message.
> OC_COMPLETE_INSTALLATION
> .\csetuputil.cpp(line 3419)
> Error code = 0x800703e6
>
> Access to this memory address is invalid.
> Library can't be loaded
> C:\WINNT\system32\catsvr.dll
>

> Before that, I may or may not get another error telling me "error loading
> catsvrutl.dll" : invalid memory access to this adress" (and no, no address
> is specified ...).

I'm not sure, but this may be related to the SP4 problems we all are having.
When you right click on My Computer and go to properties, what service pack
does it show you have installed?
> However, the installation proceeds and, lo, after another reboot, I get a
> (more or less, see below) functional W2K installation.
>
> A booboo : I haven't yet be able to use an "-fda" floppy or floppy image.
> W2K tells me that the driver doesn't start, and no attempt has been able to
> revive it (deinstalling-reinstalling, booting all passes with a -fda
> option). Mistery ...
From what I have read, I am not aware that floppy emulation works in Win2k
yet.  Anyone care to confirm?

> Another booboo is the video driver. Although the VBE drive is said to be
> able to go up to 1280x1024x32, I haven't be able to get more than 800x600x4
> (16 colors). I tried the BXVGA driver installer pointed at by some previous
> posts : this driver has two variant : the plain "BXVGA" version gave me
> black lines superimposed on the screen for about 2/3 to half its width, the
> second crashes the installation immediately after boot. Scratch one disk
The video line problem is known; using 1024x768x16bit color with the BXVGA
driver works well for me. :)

> More serious is the fact that I've been unable to install MS Office or
> mozilla. the MS Office 97 fails immediately after start, telling it can't
> read an ".sft" file (the very same disk installs perfectly on a native W2K
> installation ...). The mozilla installation fails after 3/4 of the
> installation, telling me that an error log is prepared (I've never been
> able to find it ...).
Haven't tried, sorry.  I don't actually own a copy of MS Office :O.  I noticed
someone else have a problem installing Office as well.  Wish I could help
there!

I did just successfully install (and test) Mozilla Firefox into my Win2k SP1.
Which did you try, the full suite or just (the much better) Firefox?

> Any ideas ?
>
>                                       Emmanuel Charpentier
>
> PS : As usual, please Cc' me your answers, since I'm not on the list
> (reading it through the archives).

Hope this helps! :)

        Jason Gress