qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] synaptic touchpad 4.x

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] synaptic touchpad 4.x
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 14:33:51 -0400

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 05:09:14PM +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 7 May 2004, Jim C. Brown wrote:
> > I'm writing the code in it. Is there any specific model to base the
> > emulation on?
>
> Cool! I looked into qemu/pckbd.c and linux/drivers/input/mouse/synaptics.c
> and decided that I would have to read up a lot in order to start it...

I looked for the protocol on google and found a link to the protocol
specs on the XFree86 Synaptic driver's web page. I just code, read, code,
read, code, ...

> >  Of course, it appears that the standard touchpad doesn't
> > support the Z axis (i.e. no 3rd mouse button/scroll wheel).
>
> My touchpad doesn't have it either. But there are those gestures: If you
> put your index finger down and slide with your ring finger, it emulates
> the wheel. I don't know how this is done internally (if synaptics already
> knows how to translate that, or if the driver does it), but this could be
> the way to go.

I haven't read through the 91-page pdf file yet, but it appears that the driver
does it. Guestures are reported by the touchpad directly to the driver. I didn't
look into this too clearly though and could be mistaken. I wasn't planning on
supporting guestures. At least not so early.

> Do you have a patch for me to try out?

Not yet. I haven't even tried to compile it. If you want the changes I have so
far, I can send you the file, but I'm not done writing the code yet.