qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: win2k installation: times

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: win2k installation: times
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 14:39:09 -0400

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 08:47:20AM -0600, Matthew Mastracci wrote:
> Jim C. Brown wrote:
>
> >P.S. I have the Synaptic specifications downloaded. I can start writing the
> >qemu support, once I figure out how the PS/2 mouse is emulated.
> >
> >It would probably be easier to add a command to the emulated mouse to
> >switch
> >from reporting relative position to absolute position. This would need a
> >custom guest driver to use absolute positioning though. :/
> >

> The Synaptics touchpad has a special register sequence that switches it
> to absolute-reporting mode.  The bonus of doing it this way is that
> Linux/XFree86-based operating systems get free absolute positioning
> support (the kernel PS/2 layer has touchpad support built in).  Windows
> is the only tricky part of this implementation.
>
> Matt.

The touchpad emulation isn't as hard as I thought it would have been, for this
very reason. I have the info query mechanism fully coded, and am working
on the packets themselves. So much bitshifting is tricky but not inheriently
difficult.

BTW, am I the first to try this? Or am I duplicating someone else's work?

It took 2 days, 10 hours, and 40 minutes to install win2k on qemu-softmmu
on a 200mhz Pentium I cpu. Emulated with 32 mb of RAM, though if I had to
do it over again I would have given it 64mb. Still takes 6 hours to boot.