qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] OSZOO: current status

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] OSZOO: current status
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 16:54:11 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Sat, 8 May 2004, Stefano Marinelli wrote:
> I successfully installed ReactOS 0.2.2, even if it doesn't show (on VNC)
> the whole screen (but I suspect it's a problem of my vnc client)

Probably you see the warning (from qemu) that your VNC client does not
support the NewFB coding. Just close your viewer and reconnect. If you
happen upon a segmentation fault right after the warning, I suggest
upgrading the LibVNCServer to 0.7pre (probably all prior versions have
that problem).

I trid to install Windowses 95, 98 (don't know if SE or not), ME and 2003
(If you buy a lot of machines, you have to buy a lot of Windows :-( ).
Windows 95 did not even boot from CD image, but quit right away with a
"BIOS panic at rombios.c, line 1558". The others did install fine
(changing the screen dimensions a few times, so I had to reconnect a few
times). The younger the OS, the slower the install. I suspect the
component registrations to be responsible for that. But the boot times are
comparable.

The only problem I still have is that network is "notwork" at the moment.
Windows 2003 (as mentioned before on the mailing list) does not recognize
the card automatically (and I did not yet install the driver manually).
With 98 I tried both the enhanced ifup-qemu and the new user-net. I use
shorewall on my machine, so I had to fiddle around with those settings to
get dhcpd to work, but it only receives a "DHCPDISCOVER" and returns a
"DHCPOFFER" which is not answered by the guest OS. I'll try a little
harder with user-net in the next days.

Ciao,
Dscho