qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU Video Driver for Win NT-based systems

From: Jamie Burns
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU Video Driver for Win NT-based systems
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 23:57:31 +0100

GDI can indeed be accelerated, and this was the first type of graphics card
acceleration back in the day. Accelerating the user interface (ie. most
applications that are not games!) is fairly important when emulating
Windows. I am pretty sure that no graphics card has had unaccelerated GDI
since Windows 95. QEMU/BOCHS could certainly do with a GDI accelerated
driver to have a reasonable speed display. Also, if GDI is accelerated, then
this reduces the emulated CPU time spent processing GDI calls, speeding up
QEMU in general.

:o)