qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Networking tutorial needed!

From: Bob Barry
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Networking tutorial needed!
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 08:17:08 +0200

On Mon, 17 May 2004, Stealth Dave wrote:
> I've been trying to get networking running on my guest OS (win98) for
> three days now, with no success.
I've been there.  Win98 installed so easily under qemu-0.5.5 that I just
accepted all defaults.  Then I tried all the suggested content for
/etc/qemu-ifup.
Nothing worked.  Finally I tried tcpdump, and found that the emulator
wasn't transmitting anything.  Ever.  I tried linux with the same emulator and
/etc/qemu-ifup, and all was fine.  Back to Win98: I removed the network
adapter and reinstalled, but forced use of interrupt 9/2 instead of default.
Suddenly everything worked!

> Can someone *please* post a howto for guest networking?
Real good idea!  I would suggest it include:
- use tcpdump to verify network is working:
  e.g., tcpdump -i tun0 host 192.168.2.4
- if a network interface already exists (like eth0), then tun
  must use either a bridge or a separate subnet and gateway