qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PCI support

From: Leigh Dyer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PCI support
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 12:28:04 +1000

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 01:14 +0200, Fabrice Bellard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> PCI support is now in the QEMU CVS. It is experimental so it is not
> enabled by default (use the runtime option '-pci'). There is support for
> an i440FX bridge, PIIX3 ISA bridge, PCI IDE controller (without DMA) and
> NE2000 PCI card. I tested it succesfully with a Linux 2.4.21 kernel.

I've just done some quick testing of the new PCI bus on a Win98 guest.
Win98 didn't see the PCI bus at first, but running the Add New Hardware
wizard and getting it to detect new non-PNP hardware detected the PCI
bus. After installing the appropriate drivers (and going through several
reboots) it has detected the ISA bridge, IDE controller and NE2k.
However, Windows gives a warning about the NE2k at boot and disables it
- it shows up in the device manager with the (!) icon attached to it.
I've put up a couple of screenshots:

http://gir.eclinic.com.au/~lsd/qemu/win98/win98-ne2k-boot.png
http://gir.eclinic.com.au/~lsd/qemu/win98/win98-ne2k-deviceman.png

Let me know if there's any more info that I can provide. I also tried
booting a Win2k system, but it failed with an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
error (common when trying to transplant a Win2k system in to a new PC),
so I might try to do a fresh Win2k install instead.

Thanks
Leigh