qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PCI support

From: Pavel Janík
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PCI support
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 08:02:11 +0200

   From: Fabrice Bellard <address@hidden>
   Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 01:14:49 +0200

Fabrice!

it is almost unbelievable, how fast you are :-)

   > PCI support is now in the QEMU CVS. It is experimental so it is not
   > enabled by default (use the runtime option '-pci'). There is support
   > for an i440FX bridge, PIIX3 ISA bridge, PCI IDE controller (without
   > DMA) and NE2000 PCI card. I tested it succesfully with a Linux 2.4.21
   > kernel.

I tested two cases:

- booting Solaris 10

  It failed the last time without PCI support with this:

  http://tmp.janik.cz/QEMU/Solaris-10-x86-boot.png

  It still doesn't continue booting, but Boot path has been changed

  http://tmp.janik.cz/QEMU/Solaris-10-x86-boot-with-pci.png

  It is now /address@hidden,0/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden,0:a

  Solaris detection find both PCI Ethernet card and IDE. It is the same
  with Solaris 9.

- GRUB boot floppy with stage2.netboot
  (http://tmp.janik.cz/QEMU/floppy.img)

  In one project I'm working on, we use this image to boot the systems that
  do not support PXE natively in BIOS. It is a simple GRUB floppy with
  stage2.netboot (supporting many types of network cards). The GRUB config
  file contains entries like:

  title xAPOSTclient
    dhcp
    root (nd)
    kernel (nd)/9.0/linux install=nfs://10.7.7.104/install/9.0/CD1
autoyast=nfs://10.7.7.104/install/9.0/xAPOSTclient.xml textmode=1
    initrd (nd)/9.0/initrd

  The card inside vmware is detected as

  http://tmp.janik.cz/QEMU/GRUB-vmware.png

  But in QEMU the detection seems to not work:

  http://tmp.janik.cz/QEMU/GRUB-qemu.png

  It detected RTL8139 (which is IMHO the default in GRUB when nothing
  detected properly).

Keep up the good work!
--
Pavel Janík

Keep it simple to make it faster.
                  --  The Elements of Programming Style (Kernighan & Plaugher)