qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Power PC speed?

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Power PC speed?
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 11:11:48 +0200

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 01:32, Jamie Burns wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With all the commotion surrounding PearPC and its ability to install
> Mac OS X, I was wondering what the rough speed of QMEU's PowerPC
> system emulation? The PearPC JIT system runs at about 1/40th the speed
> of its host. Anybody have a rough idea how the current QEMU compares?

I made differents tests:
Linux kernel compilation and nbench.
I promise to put detailed benches on my page soon :-)
My conclusion is:
the code I'm working on is equivalent to a 200 Mhz PPC on my amd64 3000+
(2Ghz).
Nbench gives 1/15 ratio, which seems coherent.
The CVS code is about two or three times slower because I do a lot of
context synchronisations that a real CPU won't do and this makes context
switches very slow: this really slows down tests like "make olconfig" on
a Linux kernel: makes does a lot of forks.

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized