qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] networking

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] networking
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 14:00:58 -0400

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 01:10:10AM +0200, ich hier wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Something i did not understand until now (after playing for a while
> with this nice piece of software :) ) is the usage of tun/tap devices.
> As far as i understood, qemu (the running task) just allocates free
> device-names (tunX) as needed and runs a script /etc/qemu-ifup (if
> available) and thats it.

"qemu -n other-script" will let you use a script other than /etc/qemu-ifup,
if you want.

> But is there any way, to tell qemu which exact (preconfigured)
> devices to use? Or do i have to catch the allocated devicenames,
> as qemu throws them at me (or my script :) ) and try to make
> something useful with this names (such as bridging or routing)???

You could use "qemu -tun-fd fd", but I'm not sure how as I've never used
it directly. The man page says that an example is available at

http://bellard.org/qemu/tetrinet.html

> It would be very nice, if there is some way (like in user-mode-linux
> for example) to tell qemu with arguments, how to map each emulated
> network-device to a predefined tun device. This way someone could
> configure various sets of tundevices with fixed names. Management
> would be much easier.
> Also bridging of devices would be much cleaner and other tools which
> use tun/tap devices could be hardwired (even with names like "tunX"
> :) )

I prefer using VDE myself. It uses tap0 for ALL emulated machines on the
network, instead of tun0 for machine 1, tun1 for machine 2, etc. No bridging
required. Needs a bit more work to set up tho.

> THNX in advance for your answers. Maybe i just had tomatoes on my eyes.
> (like we would say here in germany)

You can also try "qemu -user-net" if you wanted. Its not as good as tuntap,
but a lot easier to set up. It also might be slightly buggier.