qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Changing RTC from UTC to local time

From: Bartosz Fabianowski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Changing RTC from UTC to local time
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 20:50:29 +0200

Er, no. For a _Windows_ PC, this is true. For all *BSD and Linux OSes, you should usually use UTC/GMT for the hardware clock.

You can set a PC's RTC to UTC or any other time zone for that matter if you want to. However, according to the original design (dating back to the olden days of the first IBM PC), the RTC should be running in local time.

I don't run Linux myself but since so many people multi-boot Windows and Linux, I guess it must be possible to make Linux deal with an RTC running in local time, even if the Linux default is UTC. As for *BSD, it is definitely possible to do so. I run FreeBSD as my primary OS and I know that during installation it already asks you whether your RTC has local or UTC time. So it can deal with both scenarios.

Thus, since Linux and *BSD are flexible and can deal with both the standard local and non-standard UTC setting, while Windows only understands local time, I believe that setting the RTC to local time will make it usable to all those systems at once.

Please revert the patch or make it so that it is a runtime option. I don't run Windows in QEMU and this makes all my times off.

I guess one could make this a runtime option. But that would only clutter the command line, as there would be one more parameter just to set the RTC's time zone. A compile time option makes much more sense IMHO. However, this would only benefit very few people as most people download binaries.

Keeping in mind that Linux and *BSD both can deal with a standard PC RTC running in local time, are you sure that QEMU really needs the option of having the RTC run in UTC?

Regards,
- Bartosz Fabianowski