qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cirrus Logic

From: Bartosz Fabianowski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cirrus Logic
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:35:22 +0200

On October 13, 1998, the company sold it's graphics business to
ISDCorp

Not quite. What they transferred was the PC graphics software team.
Nothing is said in that press release about the hardware side of things.

If you go to www.isdcorp.com, you'll be headed to (drum rolls...) - http://www.embeddedsoftwaregroup.com/

Yes. And if you click on the "Cirrus Logic" logo in the lower left
corner of the website, you will see a disclaimer. Among other things, it
states:

"Embedded Software Group (ESG) is not part of Cirrus Logic Corporation
and does not manufacture the Cirrus Logic Graphics Chips, Graphics Cards
or Motherboards."

So again, the hardware part of Cirrus' graphics business was not
transferred to ISDCorp, while the software side was:

"ESG is an independent software company specializing in the development
of the software device drivers that allow peripheral devices to work
with your operating system."

[...] I hardly belive that someone would care about it. Heck, I'm
willing to host the code on my server if it's so much problem...

I agree that it is very unlikely anybody would care. Most developers also find it boring and annoying to try and figure out the legalities behind every little step they take. I personally just happen to be interested in the legal matters behind things. That is why I posed the question in the first place and that is why I am still interested in seeing whether I can get official permission from Cirrus. Not that others care, I just consider this an interesting task for myself.

- Bartosz