qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cirrus Logic

From: Hetz Ben Hamo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cirrus Logic
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 20:35:16 +0200

I don't anticipate the emulation of a graphics card itself to be an
issue. Unless, of course, that emulation infringes on some trademarks,
trade secrets, patents, the DMCA or some other rule that I can't think
of right now. What I think is problematic though is the way in which the
information needed to program the emulation is acquired.

After doing some thinking, I think I found some sort of solution:

A configure switch - just like ffmpeg has these days...

If a company or a person wants not to take a risk - then just leave the current VGA implementation there and let the developer use a switch to use it. Else - use the newer implementations...

And in case no one has looked - QEMU is all about plugins - whether it's processor, IDE, floppy, VGA, etc - you can just write another plugin just like we have ARM, PPC, SPARC ...

Thanks,
Hetz