qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VDE HOWTO revision

From: Renzo Davoli
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VDE HOWTO revision
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:16:14 +0200

Wonderful work, guys. Thanks!
I'll add some comments.
- Now there is a slirp support for VDE.
you can start several machines on the same vde and connect the vde
network as a whole *at user level*, without using tuntap.
see the slirp subdir in VDE.
- I have just released the code of another project named ale4net
see www.sourceforge.net/projects/ale4net. (Please note that this is alpha
version)
Application Level Environment for Networking is able to "divert" network
system calls inside the vde (it uses LD_PRELOAD to catch the calls to
the libc).
If you set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable to my ale4net client
shared lib the standard applications of your linux box use
the ale4net network instead of the real network.
The result is that you can run QEMU or whatever in VDE, and use ale4net
to start ssh or mozilla (or what you like) on the host computer to access the
QEMU machine without using tuntap. (ehm, about every application,
maybe there are already some bugs left ;-)
You can also try IPV6 clients or servers even if your host computer does
not support it.
Ale4net does not need root privileges for installation or usage.
ciao
        renzo

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 11:53:50AM +0700, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
<...>
> Copyright
>
> Copyright (c) 2004 Jim Brown.
>
>       There is no "make install". Instead, you just manually copy vdeq to
> /usr/bin. It might also be helpful to copy (or hard link [[preferred
> softlink)
/usr/local/bin is a better place. I have added a make install for vdeq.
test vde-1.5.3 from sourceforge. (just uploaded)
it copies vdeq and creates a symlink for vdeqemu

> [[ For example if you have:
> vdeq qemu -hda /mnt/myimage -m 64 -boot a
>
> you can shorten this into
>
> vdeqemu qemu -hda /mnt/myimage -m 64 -boot a
There is a typo here!
vdeqemu -hda /mnt/myimage -m 64 -boot a
> ]]

> User-mode Networking
>
> How to enable user-mode networking
>
>       The following commands will need to be run as root:
>
> # vde_switch -tap tap0 -daemon
I would keep tap tap0. I know that tuntap can use both names but given
it is a tap, it is bettere to name it as tap0.
Just for the sake of coherence ;-)
> [[
> or
> # vde_switch -tap tun0 -daemon
> ]]
>
> [[If you need to run a sniffer, just in case you want to analyze the traffic
> run:
> # vde_switch -hub -tap tap0 -daemon
> ]]
> # ifconfig tap0 <ip>
>       [[it is a good idea to put the TUN/TAP device on same subnet/class
>       with IP on guest system. So it will be easier to setup routing etc]]
> # chmod 777 /tmp/vde.ctl
> [[ Jim, on my PC, i let the ctl file to 755 permission and it runs fine]]
the remaining of the document is just fine....