qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] WINE with QEMU on non-86x processor?

From: John R. Hogerhuis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] WINE with QEMU on non-86x processor?
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 09:57:25 -0700

The first thing you need to accomplish is get x86  ls to work. WINE is
really complex, so at best it should be the second thing you run.

QEMU doesn't require much in the way of installation. I'd guess it is
more likely that your x86 libraries are not being found.

Did you try these instructions from the web page?

        On non x86 CPUs, you need first to download at least an x86
        glibc (`qemu-runtime-i386-XXX-.tar.gz' [FILENAME IS DIFFERENT]
        on the QEMU web page). Ensure that LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set:
        unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH

         Then you can launch the precompiled `ls' x86 executable:
        qemu-i386 tests/i386/ls

Now the previous command shows a -L /   option for X86 which is how you
tell QEMU where to look for libraries. You probably should unset the
library path as above, and when you invoke QEMU give an -L command but
with the path to your x86 libraries. I'm not sure why this is not shown
in the documentation, I could be wrong or it could be an oversight.

Someone experienced with qemu AND has a PPC (or actually any non x86
arch), please help Sander out by trying this... and then post to the
list exactly what you did so that the doco can be updated.

-- John.