qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] NE2K PCI and Windows 98SE & Cirrus Logic

From: Leigh Dyer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] NE2K PCI and Windows 98SE & Cirrus Logic
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 15:37:05 +1000

On Sun, 2004-06-06 at 22:24 -0700, Tim wrote:
> > I don't unfortunately have any work-around for the network problems.
> > I've also tried a manual network setup using the tun/tap device, but it
> > doesn't work any better.
>
> For the most part, network has been working fine for me.  I have used
> the linux bridging module, across a real ethernet device and tun0, and
> it worked ok.  I am now routing across my host OS (which I have done
> before), and it is also working ok.  However, I have noticed that from
> time to time my pings time out.  Typically the first one or two pings
> when I ping a given host.  After that, it usually works fine for
> subsequent pings, though sometimes re-surfaces.  Could it be a timing
> issue with the virtual device?  Probably not the problems you are
> experiencing Hetz, though worth mentioning.

It's been fine for me in Linux (PCI or ISA mode), and in ISA mode in
both Windows 98 and 2000, but Win98 seems to trip up in PCI mode.

> I am using the most recent CVS (at least, as of this afternoon), and the
> following command line:
>
> qemu -pci -m 256 -cdrom win2k-install-cd.img -hda win2k-cow.img -boot c -n
> "$TUN_SCRIPT"

You're running Windows 2000 with PCI enabled? I didn't think this worked
yet - certainly all of my attempts so far to get this running have
failed. Did you have to do anything special to get PCI mode working with
Windows 2000?

Thanks
Leigh