qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] powerpc system emulation and the need for ppc-rom.bin (firm

From: Martin
Subject: [Qemu-devel] powerpc system emulation and the need for ppc-rom.bin (firmware)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:04:14 +0200

Jocelyn mentioned some time ago that powerpc (system)emulation could be broken at the moment because there are some majore changes in progress. At the moment it does build just fine only it is not usable because it thinks it needs a powerpc rom bios (firmware)
This loading is done in hw/ppc_prep.c (and hw/ppc_chrp.c)
up and until revision 1.10 of ppc_prep.c the loading was done in the else part of if(linux_boot) In other words, if you load a linux kernel directly you don't need ppc_rom.bin

from version 1.11 and on qemu always tries to load ppc_rom.bin (and always fails because it is not there: "could not load PPC PREP bios '/usr/local/share/qemu/ppc_rom.bin'")

Is there a special reason for this?
Otherwise I would suggest moving it back in the else clause so we can still use recent cvs snapshots (with new features and bugfixes like pci support) It would of course also be great if a (working) ppc_rom firmware would be available.
How is the progress on this going?
Jocelyn, what are you using at the moment, an existing firmware for a real device or an opensource openfirmware implementation?

I also found that there is a new commandline option -prep
I think this chooses between prep and chrp emulation.
How different are the two emulations at the moment?

Greetings,
Martin

hw/ppc_prep.c
Revision: 1.10

if (linux_boot) {
/* Do stuff to load linux kernel */
} else
{
/* allocate and load BIOS ppc_rom.bin */
}

hw/ppc_prep.c
Revision: 1.11, Wed May 26 22:53:03 2004 UTC (2 weeks ago) by bellard