qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Qemu speed on system emulation/compiling benchmark (Solaris

From: Karel Gardas
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Qemu speed on system emulation/compiling benchmark (Solaris9/SunStudio9/MICO 2.3.11)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:41:17 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

so finally I've been able to install Solaris9 together with early access
SunStudio 9 and I'm just compiling MICO 2.3.11 (www.mico.org) by this
combo everything inside Qemu of course. I think this is a bit of miracle
that things are working quite well as an a real system (Thanks Fabrice!),
on the other hand, unfortunatelly the compilation is quite slow. My rough
guess is that it is about 30x-60x slower than on the real host. i.e. my
PIII-1GHz with Qemu/256MB (for Qemu) compiles the given set of files for
about 90 minutes, while real SourceForge.net machine
(Solaris9/x86/SunStudio8) compiled the same set of files in 2 minutes 44
seconds. Unfortunatelly I don't know exact hardware configuration of this
SF.net host and also I do not know exact compilation speed comparison of
SunStudio C++ 8 and 9 compilers, but I hope both hosts and compilers speed
are comparable, i.e. difference about 2-4x is not that big and is still
quite low to consider Qemu a bit slow for this task...

My question is, is there any way how to make system emulation faster? Now,
I'm using linux2.6.4/glibc2.2.5 as a host system and qemu-softmmu for
quest.

Thanks a lot,

Karel
PS: Even Qemu looks so slow for this task, I consider it to be the fastest
emulator from the free emaulators available. So thanks a lot to everybody
working on it, especially to Fabrice as a main author!
--
Karel Gardas                  address@hidden