qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows 95 and qemu

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows 95 and qemu
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 13:21:04 +0200

The problem may be related to the fact that QEMU does not initialize the HDD geometry fields in the CMOS memory.

Fabrice.

Gerolf Vanacker wrote:

I have a similar problem:

with the latest (june 10) cvs qemu, when I do "qemu /dev/hdc" (the
main disk in my laptop on which I have a dual-boot WinXP / Linux), I
get the Lilo interface without any problem. When I choose to boot
Linux, it works fine. Booting XP however, gives me the message "A disk
read error occurred, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". GRUB gives me the
same result.
It seems the lilo bootloader jumps correctly to the XP boot record,
but from that point on something goes wrong.
Has anyone had success yet booting XP (or another windows) from a
device file?

Oliver Kopp wrote:

|Hi,
|
|I tried qemu-cvs two days ago with a German Win95 using qemu -hda
|/dev/hdc
|/dev/hdc was the main harddisk of another PC, where Win95 works fine.
|
|After firing up qemu, windows sys, it has an I/O-error and I should
|change the disk.
|
|qemu -hda /dev/hdc1 doesn't work either: "incorrect system" (or similar)
|

|fdisk -l /dev/hdc gives correct values.
|
|FreeDOS from www.ubcd.de 2.31 and qemu -hda /dev/hda -cdrom /dev/crom
|-boot d showed a 0 MB-Disk while booting...

|----------------------------------------------------------------------

|Qemu-devel mailing list
|address@hidden

- --