qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cirrusvga framebuffer mode?

From: Jean-Michel POURE
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cirrusvga framebuffer mode?
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 14:11:31 +0200

Le dimanche 13 Juin 2004 13:37, Hetz Ben Hamo a écrit :
> I belive this is a Mandrake 10 installation problem and not QEMU's
> problem, since the Mandrake installation doesn't really check for Cirrus
> Logic stuff probably (no problem with Fedora core 2)

Dear Hetz,

During Stage 1, Fedora boots in text mode. Then, Fedora Core 2 switches to
graphical mode when reaching stage 2. In the case of Fedora, I agree that
this works for both "-pci" and "-pci -cirrusvga".

On the converse,  SuSE 9.0 and Mandrake 10 are supposed to install in
graphical mode from stage 1 (probably in framebuffer mode, although I did not
read the source code of the installers). And graphical mode does not work for
"-pci -cirrusvga" mode.

Here are some screenshots:

1) Mandrake 10
qemu -cdrom Mandrakelinux10.0-CD1.i586.iso -boot d -m 128 -pci -cirrusvga
Screenshot : http://www.poure.com/screenshots/qemu_temp_2.png

qemu -cdrom Mandrakelinux10.0-CD1.i586.iso -boot d -m 128 -pci
Screenshot : http://www.poure.com/screenshots/qemu_temp_1.png

2) SuSE 9.1
qemu -cdrom SuSE-9.1-iso.disk1 -boot d -m 128 -pci -cirrusvga
Screenshot : http://www.poure.com/screenshots/qemu_temp_3.png

qemu -cdrom SuSE-9.1-iso.disk1 -boot d -m 128 -pci
Screenshot : http://www.poure.com/screenshots/qemu_temp_4.png

It seems like Cirrus SVGA framebuffer mode is not detected well.

Kindest regards,
Jean-Michel