qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Wrong Exception - should have GPF instead of PF for NUL

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Wrong Exception - should have GPF instead of PF for NULL selector
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 15:22:08 +0200

Antony T Curtis wrote:
I have been looking at why OS/2 Warp Connect fails to start Presentation
Manager under QEMU and I have found the following...

We get a Page Fault when QEMU encounters the following instruction

0xfe0a9971:  mov    %es:(%si),%ebx

Where ES=0x0000 and ESI=0xabde0000

This should generate a General Protection exception as we are accessing
memory using a NULL selector

I don't know if it would fix OS/2 but it is definitely behaviour which
is 'not correct'.

OK, it is not correct, but it is not the cause of the problem: I tried to generate a GPF and I have the same bug. Moreover, I looked at the code before and %es is really set to zero...

Fabrice.