qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone have functioning networking with a FreeBSD host?

From: Christopher Nehren
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone have functioning networking with a FreeBSD host?
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:42:35 -0400

On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 16:17:06 EDT, Brad Watson scribbled these
curious markings:
> I believe that the messagethat you are receiving
> suggest that FreeBSD is not seeing the NIC card
> interrupt.
>
> If you don't start qemu w/the -pci option (i.e. you
> use the emulated isa NIC cards,) FreeBSD will try to
> use an IRQ for the ne* card different from the one
> that qemu is using.

Ooh, undocumented options. We hatessss them, my precioussss. I do
believe that it would be wise to write something about this option, and
what it does. This will at least prevent _some_ users from asking
questions (unfortunately, only those users who read the docs).

> Some other workarounds (besides starting qemu w/the
> -pci option) include remapping the interrupts for the
> ne* cards in the qemu/hw/pc.c file, and recompiling
> qemu, or possibly, switching the interrupt on the fly
> that FreeBSD uses for the NIC w/the sysctl command (I
> haven't tried that.)

Thanks for the information; I will try this suggestion in tandem with
the other suggestions that I've received.

pejorative meaning "stupid and unsophisticated".  -- Ken Thompson
-