qemu-devel

port update (was: Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone have functioning networking wi

From: Juergen Lock
Subject: port update (was: Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone have functioning networking with a FreeBSD host?)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:49:46 +0200 (CEST)

In article <address@hidden> you write:
>I am using /dev/tap based networking, not the usermode one.
>It all works fine (thanks to some help from Juergen Lock).
>BTW, I am using the latest FreeBSD port &
>Freebsd-5.2-current.

>* When qemu opens the tap device, it always returns a new
>  device.  You can change this behavior by patching vl.c.  On
>  line 1104 change the `for' loop to start at 0 instead of -1
>  -- line # as per the patched sources in the FreeBSD port.
>  This loop first tries /dev/tap and then /dev/tap0,
>  /dev/tap1 and so on.  The change skips /dev/tap.

This seems to be new with -current (its not happening on 5.2.1),
anyway I have now changed the port, and updated it to yestarday's
snapshot.  Port update can be fetched at
        http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=67948&f=raw

>* I don't see why /dev/tap is an exclusive open device.  If
>  multiple opens were allowed, a number of VMs can be on the
>  same simulated network.  That is, qemu for each guest can
>  open the same device and they will all *see* each other as
>  well as the host!

 Well that would require bigger changes to the if_tap code...

>* I first thought qemu should also have a qemu-ifdown script
>  but may be it is better to wrap qemu in a shell script that
>  does the initial setup and final cleanup.

 It seems to be downed at least here, this is after a qemu run
that had used tap0: (5.2.1)

tap0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet6 fe80::2bd:72ff:fe64:200%tap0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
        ether 00:bd:72:64:02:00

 Hmm ok it still has an inet6 address...

        Juergen