qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] OS support table

From: Christopher Nehren
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] OS support table
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:59:17 -0400

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 04:29:22 EDT, Jean-Michel Poure scribbled these
curious markings:

[snipped various OSs]

[snipped numerous Linux distributions -- they're just a kernel, so it'd
probably be better to mention kernel versions]

> detection bug will be solved in 0.5.6.

1.6.2 works perfectly for me, installed from i386cd.iso. That's rather
wonderful, because I've wanted to play with NetBSD for a while. I
haven't noticed any FPU detection bug, but then, I'm using CVS
snapshots. All in all, though, NetBSD 1.6.2 works as it would in
VMWare -- even better, in fact, since it doesn't like to install under
VMWare unless you twiddle with the IDE slave / master settings and then
hope a lot and have some luck.

Not mentioned: OpenBSD 3.5. From the small part of the installation that
I've tried, it works fine. I'll do a full install later.

Also not mentioned: DragonFlyBSD. It's on my TODO list. Since it's still
mostly FreeBSD at this point, it should be mostly fine.

Also ^ 2 not mentioned: FreeBSD. Haven't tested it much. It doesn't seem
able to detect the QEMU virtual hard disk. Is there something peculiar
about this drive? If not, I'll boot NetBSD, get the specs, and see if I
can't figure out why it's not finding it. The small amount of FreeSBIE
that I've tested works fine. Note to those testing FreeSBIE: it takes a
while to boot because of the kernel's hardcoded HZ value. This is
mentioned in QEMU's FreeBSD port pkg-message.

Will try it once I get a copy.

> more information.

It likes to core dump on me at various points during the install. I
almost had it installed once, but it was SIGSTOP'd and then my X
crashed. I'll try again today.

> <h2>PowerPC Emulation</h2>

Don't suppose that there's any chance of this working on a non-GNU host?
Particularly with speed somewhat equivalent to that of i386-softmmu? :)
PearPC is great, but a bit too slow for my taste as of yet.

pejorative meaning "stupid and unsophisticated".  -- Ken Thompson
-