qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows XP status

From: Christopher Nehren
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows XP status
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:50:35 -0400

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 16:27:13 EDT, Hetz Ben Hamo scribbled these
curious markings:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that few people had succsess stories while installing XP while
> other had various crashes (in guest OS)...
>
> To those who had those problems, could you please try to describe in
> much details the problems?

It just segfaults, leaving a hefty 100-200 MB core file in its wake.
Running said core through gdb invariably gives a 'cannot access memory
at 0x$foo' error. Since I don't know gdb too well, and since the only
manual is in GNU info format, which I abhor (replacing man pages? What
was RMS smoking / sniffing / injecting? Er, never mind. I don't want to
know), I doubt that I'll be able to provide any more information than
that.

> What I would like to know:
>
> * Which Windows XP version is it (MSDN, XP Volume CD, OEM, Home, Pro, etc)

XP Pro.

> * If you managed to install XP, have you managed to run the wordpad
> program? (the "word processor" which is included in XP).

Not yet.

> * Where exactly did the crash happend

Various places, mostly after the "Installing drivers" stage.

> * Did you create users? if so, how many?

Never got the chance to do so.

> I understood that using the -pci or -pci -cirrusvga parameters makes any
>  XP installation crashes. Does it happend to you if you install XP from
> scratch?

Again, I haven't been able to successfully install with any options in
order to make a comparison.

pejorative meaning "stupid and unsophisticated".  -- Ken Thompson
-