qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PPC system emulator

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PPC system emulator
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 00:50:51 +0200

On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 19:55, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
> Hopefully everyone is aware of the OpenBIOS project? They've been doing
> the work, and written the Forth code. They know what they're doing.
>
> Why not just avoid duplication of effort and help them get it into the
> shape you need? They are nice folks and always open to help.

I intended to use OpenBIOS but it's really far from being able to boot a
PPC machine.
And it doesn't intend to support "conventional" boot for PREP, which I
need.
As I did most of the BIOS code last year when I made my first atempts to
run Linux for the PREP emulation, it was really easier to me to add the
missing code (mostly hw stuffs) and fix the bugs than start the port of
OpenBIOS to PPC target.

OpenBIOS is the right long term solution, but I need something right
now, so I reuse and improve the code I have.
Some of this code (ie PREP boot or some PPC device drivers) may become
useful for OpenBIOS too...

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized