qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Clarification about qemu-fast (was segfaults in fc1)

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Clarification about qemu-fast (was segfaults in fc1)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:50:06 -0400

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 08:05:16AM -0400, David wrote:
> Speaking of adding things to the documentation, it would be helpful to
> mention
> that Qemu *requires* a network connection (or a simulated one via
> '--dummy-net').
>
> I ran into this problem because I still used dialup. I couldn't find any
> explanation for the error message I was getting in the documentation, or via
> Google. However, the act of going online caused Qemu to start  working, and
> it finally dawned on me what the problem was...
>
> Thanks!
>
> -- David Cuny

That is not exactly true. Qemu works fine for me, even when I start it when I
am offline. However I use VDE/tuntap and do have a local area network, so
it is possible that qemu requires a network connection to function correctly
(IIRC since 0.5.5 qemu uses -user-net by default if it can not access tuntap,
and -dummy-net by default for earlier versions). Of course tuntap requires that
you have an actual ethernet card to work....

BTW if you are using the Windows port, you might be better off using -dummy-net
or -user-net ... I vaguely recall that one of the reasons -user-net was
introduced was because it was so hard to set up networking with qemu when
Windows was the host OS.