qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Darwin 7.01

From: Jean-Michel POURE
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Darwin 7.01
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:26:15 +0200

Le samedi 26 Juin 2004 18:29, vous avez écrit :
> Would you mind telling me which qemu cvs version you
> are using, which darwin cdrom image, and which options
> you are specifying that allowed you to run darwin x86
> ?  Currently when I attempt to run, it just hangs
> displaying an "apple...."

Dear Brad,

- Qemu CVS version head from today 26/06/2004 (this morning French time). I
did not upgrade to the latest changes committed afterwards.

- The CD-ROM installers from Darwin can be fetched from:
http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/

I downloaded and installed:
http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/images/darwin-701.iso.gz

- Then I booted the Darwin guest:
qemu -cdrom darwin-701.iso -hda hd.img -m 128 -boot d -cirrusvga -user-net

According to the Darwin howto, networking under x86 only works with precise
3Com network card (from memory, I did not check again). Therefore, it is
likely that networking cannot work in the guest. This limitation does not
exist in the PPC versions.

MacOsX is entirely based on free software:  achieving to run Darwin-701 PPC or
Darwin-6.02 PPC in qemu-system-ppc should bring MacOsX 10.3 and MacOsX 10.2
respectively. The PPC images can be fetched from:

- Darwin-7.01 for PPC (a bug in the PPC bios prevents the iso from booting
according to Jocelyn.):
http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/images/darwin-701.iso.gz

- Darwin-6.02 for PPC:
http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/images/darwinppc-602.cdr.gz