qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu - patch to check X authorization

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu - patch to check X authorization
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:42:32 -0400

On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 09:48:31AM +0200, Bob Barry wrote:
> Jim -
>
> On Saturday 26 June 2004 20:06, you wrote:
> > That doesn't happen to me. When I try that, I get a few messages from Xlib
> > saying that it can't open the X server and then a message from SDL saying
> > that
> > its quitting.
>
> That is the way it should work.  Mine didn't.  The patch makes mine behave
> like yours.

As you say below, it's an SDL bug and should be fixed.

> > I don't have the problem that you do.
> Then your SDL must be different from mine.  Qemu should not lock any system,
> so
> the patch is beneficial for systems like mine, and there are probably a lot
> of them.
> My SDL is libsdl-1.2.7 with a few Gentoo patches.  Even if the SDL source is
> patched to act like yours (and it should be), there will still be a lot of
> qemu users with
> old SDL who should be accomodated.

I have libsdl-1.2.2 .... the bug was clearly introduced in a later version.
Of course, we could have the configure script detect the SDL version, and if
that version is known to have this bug (and we are on an applicable platform)
then it could turn on the #DEFINE that would compile the patch. (I think
this was already suggested, in fact... can't remember.)

> > Your patch requires that the user must have X and assumes that SDL uses
> > X/Xv.
> If there are systems without X which can run qemu with SDL, then the patch
> code
> should be excluded from them with "#ifdef".  Are there such systems?

I know of only one - the windows port of qemu. You're right here though, a
few simple #ifdef's or #ifndef's would do the trick.

Of course, it could be trickier if someone decided to let qemu use the
framebuffer
or the SVGAlib interface on Linux... (SDL supports this but apparently qemu
does not atm).