qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: replies

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: replies
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:23:20 -0400

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 09:30:01AM +0800, Damien Mascord wrote:
> Hi guys,
>

> Because it is possible that
> a new version of fdisk will change it's screen output and "wreck"
> lomount...

That's the problem that we have here. Though it would be a trivial fix, it is
still rather inconvient to have to update lomount everytime a new vesrsion
comes out.

> Excuse my ignorance, but would there be an fdisk library that you could
> just call the functions, or even duplicate the functionality that you
> need from fdisk into a binary of your own ?

Right now, lomount is basicly a wrapper. (I originally meant to write it as a
shell script in fact, but I couldn't figure out how to parse fdisk's output.
Right now that is what I'm trying to do (using awk for the actual parsing).)
The Right Thing(tm) to do would be to replace the code that parses fdisk's
output with code ripped from fdisk, qemu, or even to use libparted.so, and
use that code to read the disk image and calculate the values that we need.
(We can go futher and have lomount make the mount(2) call by itself instead
of merely calling mount(8), if we wanted to.)

This is not a trivial change. But it would certainly be worthwhile.