qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Wine on ARM/XSCALE or alternate low power/low cost

From: brooke eaton
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Wine on ARM/XSCALE or alternate low power/low cost
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 07:22:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

First off, I am very pleased to see the existence of the QEMU project. I want to thank all who helped provide this. I hope I can make some useful code or documentation contribution in the future.

Okay, so my goal is to be able to run a few win32 applications on my PDAs. Almost all of my PDAs have an xscale processor on them, i believe they are PXA-255 from intel. I have confirmed that my desired win32 apps work reasonably well using wine on regular x86 linux.

Based on this and from some browsing, I believe that what I would need to do is run wine in an x86 emulator for an arm host on linux. In QEMU terms, I believe this is: user mode emulation of an x86 cpu on an xscale (arm) host cpu with the desired application being wine.

Looking through the mailing list archives, I found a post that seems to suggest that at least one other person has tried something similar. Here's the link:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2004-01/msg00037.html
From reading that post from 18th Jan 2004, it appears that the state of wine on arm using qemu is not yet functional. If that's the case, then I'd like to help debug or at least test the current code with the goal of bringing this to reasonable functionality. Please let me know if this goal is in sync with that of QEMU.

The next steps that I'm going to take are as follows:
- get a Familiar based crosscompile system on my development x86
- build a nice clean arm distribution
- build qemu within this distribution
- run wine on qemu
- world domination!

I look forward to any feedback/suggestions/advice that anyone might have.

Thanks,
Brooke

Do you Yahoo!?