qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to avoid inflation during COW file transfer?

From: Damien Mascord
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to avoid inflation during COW file transfer?
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 11:56:11 +0800

Joachim Frieben wrote:

I have some problem transferring a Windows 2000 COW image file created on one Fedora Core 2 machine to a 2nd one via sftp because the target file gets inflated to the full size. The source file was about 700 MB, the target file would have been 6 GB. Does anybody know how to avoid this unpleasant effect? Thanks in advance for any helpful comment!

Hi Joachim,

Can't you use tar and/or bzip2 to compress it first? (That's how people distribute the COW files on the web, so I imagine there is some tar switch to use?)

Damien