qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Problems installing Windows XP

From: Jan Dittmer
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Problems installing Windows XP
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 12:12:37 +0200

Hi,

I'm experiencing difficulies install Windows XP (German, w/ SP1) in QEMU.
The install process works fine up to the second reboot, when the "Windows XP is starting..." screen appears, ie. when the actual installer is finished. Then the mouse cursor appears in the middle of the screen, changing to the hour-glass and back and after 1-2 minutes the vm is suddenly rebooting without any notice. This is repeatable. Using 'safe mode' on startup ends in the same result. I've tested this with qemu 0.5.4 from debian testing and the cvs snapshot from 2004-06-28.
I use the following command line:

 $QEMU -hda xp.img -cdrom winxp.iso -boot d -m 256

I also tried adding the -pci switch, but with no change. Though I only tried it after having this problems. Would it make any difference if I tried to install xp with this option on? So, how can I debug this, or is there a known problem with XP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jan