qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Inquiry, speed comparison on OS X, QEMU vs Virtual PC

From: Leigh Dyer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Inquiry, speed comparison on OS X, QEMU vs Virtual PC
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 10:23:45 +1000

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 15:24 -0700, Daniel J.Guinan wrote:
> I'm curious, how does the speed compare to Virtual PC?

Not terribly well yet - on my 1Ghz Tibook, it feels about the same speed
as on my 800Mhz PIII desktop PC at work, which is to say that the
emulated system seems somewhere around high-end-468/low-end-Pentium
speed. However, it's important to remember that Virtual PC:

* has been around for ages, and has seen lots of development and
optimisation
* uses a hand-written and heavily optimised x86->PPC translator
* uses special PPC features like Altivec and little-endian mode to speed
things up
* uses the host system's MMU to accelerate memory access

Qemu's still fast enough to be usable for a great many things though, so
if you're debating whether or not to try it, by all means download it
and give it a go.

Thanks
Leigh