qemu-devel

OT: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC for new features

From: Antony T Curtis
Subject: OT: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC for new features
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 00:40:34 +0100

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 22:04, Jim C. Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 10:31:10PM +0200, Jernej Simon?i? wrote:
> > On Thursday, July 8, 2004, 21:36:44, Jim C. Brown wrote:
> >
> > > I agree. Perhaps on Linux this could be optional (i.e. with
> > > '-console-monitor'
> > > you get the old monitor, but on hosts that dont support those (i.e.
> > > Windows)
> > > that option would be ignored).
> >
> > Windows has console support - and the program doesn't have to be compiled
> > for console to use it (just look at eg. Gimp - starts with no console, and
> > if there are problems [or, if you eg. use --verbose switch], a console is
> > open - but only if you didn't redirect stdout and stderr).
>
> For 9x this isn't true unless the program uses the console subsystem. So a
> regular GUI program has no console.

Reminds me of my OS/2 days... a PM (GUI) app doesn't have a console....
And a console app cannot open windows. But there is a hack (involves
writing to undocumented data) which allows a console app have windows. I
discovered this by accident and used it for a native OS/2 Xlib
implementation (Xlib->OS/2 GDI, may be googled by keyword "everblue")