qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] 3COM NIC (ISA PnP) and ISA PnP support

From: Antony T Curtis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] 3COM NIC (ISA PnP) and ISA PnP support
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 00:59:20 +0100

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 20:26, Gianni Tedesco wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 13:21 +0200, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> > Hi People,
> >
> > This email is just for the archive, so here goes...
> >
> > Thanks to the work of Antony T Curtis, you can now use ISA PnP and 3COM
> > ISA PnP "cards" with QEMU. Those patches are NOT merged into QEMU yet(I
> > doubt it will be, although I hope it will)..
> >
> > Patches as well as readme files are available as usual at
> > http://www.dad-answers.com/qemu/patches/
>
> I think Fabrice was quite keen that ISA PnP not go in, for the reason
> that we have a perfectly functional PCI core. Future emulated hardware
> should be PCI, then it's usable reliably across all architectures.

I think I put it together more because I can... and I wanted another PIO
ethernet device to compare against the existing NE2000 device. And I
couldn't see a reasonable way to implement 3Com's Legacy discovery mode.

I think the next thing I will put together is a 3Com 3C905C PCI NIC...
because it is supported by Darwin x86...

I have found a valuable resource for datasheets ...
http://www.osdever.net/index.php?id=7&cat=27&sort=

Hopefully of use to anyone else who wants to simulate some hardware.

It is tempting for me to extend the AMD PCNet implementation to include
the SCSI HBA ... but then the problem would be sourcing a ROM image for
the device.

Which reminds me of one of my feature requests - a uniform way to load
ROM images, where - for example - a card may have an associated ROM for
net-booting etc... (and does the current BIOS support adaptor ROMs? I
haven't looked at its code in depth yet.)

--
Antony T Curtis <address@hidden>