qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Reducing X communication bandwidth

From: Julian Seward
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Reducing X communication bandwidth
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:42:34 +0100

> > Anyway, QEMU from cvs is unusable like this, at least when
> > running WinXP or Win2K.  The SDL layer (qemu/sdl.c) blasts
> > huge numbers of pixels across the network in response to even
> > the simplest graphical operations.  Notably, moving the mouse
> > pointer is appalling, with an update rate of about twice per
> > second, which is hopeless.
>
> Great patch! This patch combined with ssh -X -C makes qemu usable over my
> wireless link between office and home. Still a little laggy but at least
> usable.

Cool.

You might want to experiment with the THRESH value in sdl.c
to get the best performance.  I set it to 32 and that works
pretty well for me, but I'm not claiming it's optimal -- I
only tried 16 and 32, and 32 was better.  You can use
any value >= 1.  It controls the size of the blocks of
pixels over which the patch makes send/no-send decisions.