qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] 3COM NIC (ISA PnP) and ISA PnP support

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] 3COM NIC (ISA PnP) and ISA PnP support
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 16:30:39 +0200

Antony T Curtis wrote:
On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 20:26, Gianni Tedesco wrote:

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 13:21 +0200, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:

Hi People,

This email is just for the archive, so here goes...

Thanks to the work of Antony T Curtis, you can now use ISA PnP and 3COM ISA PnP "cards" with QEMU. Those patches are NOT merged into QEMU yet(I doubt it will be, although I hope it will)..

Patches as well as readme files are available as usual at http://www.dad-answers.com/qemu/patches/

I think Fabrice was quite keen that ISA PnP not go in, for the reason
that we have a perfectly functional PCI core. Future emulated hardware
should be PCI, then it's usable reliably across all architectures.

Yes, I prefer PCI now. I also prefer to limit the number of emulated hardware devices to the strict minimum as it is _very_ difficult to have accurate hardware emulation which works in all OSes.

Of course people are also interested by QEMU to debug drivers, and in this case I agree that emulating many different hardware devices is good, but it is not my priority now.

I think I put it together more because I can... and I wanted another PIO
ethernet device to compare against the existing NE2000 device. And I
couldn't see a reasonable way to implement 3Com's Legacy discovery mode.

I think the next thing I will put together is a 3Com 3C905C PCI NIC...
because it is supported by Darwin x86...
[...]

If you have a working PCI network adapter which is supported by PCs, Darwin and MAC OS X, then I can accept to merge it immediately as it seems that NE2000 PCI is not supported directly by Darwin/Mac OS X.

You can look at the PearPC source code to have more information.

Fabrice.