qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC for new features

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC for new features
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 16:57:02 +0200

Antony T Curtis wrote:
On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 15:03, Fabrice Bellard wrote:

About the new features: none of them will be for the upcoming 0.6.0 release. Maybe for 0.6.1.

Some comments:

- The old console will still be available with a command line option.

Cool,

- The disk images will support both free sector compression (as cow images) and "read-only" zlib based block compression, so that the FreeOSZoo disk images do not need to be decompressed. QEMU itself will never store compressed blocks as it is more complicated and less useful.

How about lzo compression? It is vary fast for compression and
decompression and doesn't require much memory to operate.

I just want that downloaded images can be easily used. Compression for writing is less useful because hard disks are big enough, so it won't be available in the first implementation. I agree that LZO would be a good choice for a read/write compression system.

Fabrice.