qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Memory VS Swap Space

From: Joe Menola
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Memory VS Swap Space
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:27:52 -0500

On Sun July 11 2004 5:08 pm, Jeff Jones wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does the guest OS (in this case Mandrake-10.0) actually use the host
> OS' physical memory or is it all done with virtual memory/swap space?
> I know that the qemu application uses Mac OSX memory because it's an
> application running on OS X.  However, I've noticed that increasing
> the memory in the qemu command from 128 to 256 really doesn't have
> much of an effect on boot-up or overall performance.

My system monitor shows Qemu using physical memory if it's available. Just as
any application will.
The bog is at the cpu level, I'm 0% idle whenever Qemu is running even the
smallest task.
Even ram must pass through the cpu, which is why changes in ram have little/no
effect on performance.
At least that's what I'm seeing... I should add that I know nothing. lol

-jm