qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Win98: how to exchange data with Linux

From: Joe Menola
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Win98: how to exchange data with Linux
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:03:37 -0500

On Mon July 12 2004 8:23 pm, Jim C. Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 05:12:09PM -0500, Joe Menola wrote:
> > On Mon July 12 2004 4:56 pm, Mario Cazorzi wrote:
> > > I have just installed Windows98 on my Linux machine (Suse 9.1 64bit,
> > > sata HD). Qemu works really very, very good.
> > > The only thing I missed is the possibility to exchange data between the
> > > two OS. (I mean cut and paste).
> > > Probably at the moment the only possibility is to make a fat32
> > > partition so I can see it from Linux and from Windows too.
> > > Is that the only solution (if I can spare so a partition I will be very
> > > happy).
> >
> > Actually you can't mount a partition in Qemu that's not buried inside
> > your .img file. At least no way I found yet.
> > You can use lomount to mount your .img partitions in Linux, this requires
> > root access tho.
> > http://www.dad-answers.com/qemu/utilities/QEMU-HD-Mounter/
> >
> > Btw, thanks dad for the very useful site. :)
> >
> > -jm
>
> This isn't safe though. It might work, but you run the risk of corrupting
> the partition in question (e.g. Linux updates the spare partition at the
> same time windows 98 writes its own data on it ... boom). Same problem if
> you could use a real partition ... which you can't, unless you want to
> share an entire disk.
>
> You're better off using Samba or FTP.

I agree, I was suggesting using lomount only to move files onto the .img
drive. Not running both in tandem. Sorry if I was unclear. And thank you for
pointing this out.
As for Samba and FTP,... if I could figure out the whole /dev/tun thing, those
would be my first choice. Stuck (for now) with -user-net, leaves lomount as
my only option. :(

-jm