qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Win98: how to exchange data with Linux

From: Sebastien Bechet
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Win98: how to exchange data with Linux
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 00:31:32 +0200

Le mar 13/07/2004 à 19:22, Filip Navara wrote :
> At first guys, you confuse file system drivers and storage drivers. The
> file system drivers have de facto no knowledge on which disk are the
> data located, (on Windows) they recieve an object and send Read/Write
> requests to it (well, basicly, in reality there's also the cache manager
> between them).

So on windows :

(A = Application) <-> (B = receive an object and send r/w) <-> (C =
cachemgr) <-> (B = ntfs.sys or vfat or ...)

What is B ? DLL Name, SYS Name ? Registry ? API Size ?
Why not to rewrite B in guest to access IOCTL Host OS using Backdoor
qemu IO port ? Maybe Wine LGPL work is usable to do that ?

With this method we can have windows files directly on linux filesystem
and we can share it directly ! In my opinion this idea _can_ work and is
a killer feature but only for Windows GURU (meditation ;p) ...

> At second, the idea can't work, even if you would have a
> storage driver that uses some backdoor I/O port to access host disk, the
> host OS can't access the same partition at the same time due to things
> like caching (on both sides (guest/host)).
Not host disk access, filesystem linux kernel IOCTL access.

Bye.
--
Sebastien Bechet <address@hidden>
av7.net