qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Win98: how to exchange data with Linux

From: John R. Hogerhuis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Win98: how to exchange data with Linux
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:25:43 -0700

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 17:38, Leigh Dyer wrote:

> I also like the idea of a web server instead of an FTP server. A basic
> web server would be quite a bit easier to write than an FTP server, and
> it could later be extended with a basic WebDAV implementation to support
> more filesystem-like read-write access.
>
> The downside is that WebDAV is possibly more complex to implement than
> FTP, and a HTTP server without WebDAV is only really a partial solution,
> since there's no really easy way to do guest->host transfers.

I don't know what WebDAV is but if you implement http GET and PUT you
have a full solution to transferring files, just no security. OP just
wanted a way to do easy clipboard between the two, no security there
either.

But usual FTP doesn't give you real security anyway, so no big
difference really.

Security can be added in the form of cgi scripts, authentication, even
encryption (HTTPS or SSL) later on. Just need to pick the right web
server to embed, and figure out the business end of it that integrates
with SMB (would have to utilize samba...).

And actually I don't think we would need to write yet another web
server. There are several on Freshmeat, including lightweight ones, for
the picking.

Seems kind of exciting prospect actually. Imagine you have some legacy
part of a business process running under windows. With an easy file
sharing scheme like this, Windows+app becomes a black box with enough
inputs/outputs and levers (some HTTP POST commands) to run essentially
headless.

Later,

-- John.