qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Win98: how to exchange data with Linux

From: Leigh Dyer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Win98: how to exchange data with Linux
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:38:40 +1000

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 22:25 -0700, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 17:38, Leigh Dyer wrote:
>
> > I also like the idea of a web server instead of an FTP server. A basic
> > web server would be quite a bit easier to write than an FTP server, and
> > it could later be extended with a basic WebDAV implementation to support
> > more filesystem-like read-write access.
> >
> > The downside is that WebDAV is possibly more complex to implement than
> > FTP, and a HTTP server without WebDAV is only really a partial solution,
> > since there's no really easy way to do guest->host transfers.
> >

> I don't know what WebDAV is but if you implement http GET and PUT you
> have a full solution to transferring files, just no security. OP just
> wanted a way to do easy clipboard between the two, no security there
> either.

WebDAV's an extension of HTTP that allows for FTP-style directory level
access. IE does WebDAV quite nicely (it calls the idea "Web Folders"),
so you can open an IE window to browse your WebDAV folders that looks
and acts pretty much like a standard Explorer window. I think it could
be a good alternative to trying to implement something far more complex
like SMB.

WebDAV is implemented by adding extra HTTP methods on top of the usual
T/POST, so it would easily be possible to throw a basic web server in to
QEMU now and flesh it out with WebDAV support later.

Thanks
Leigh