qemu-devel

Re: /dev/tun Was: Re: [Qemu-devel] Win98: how to exchange data with Linu

From: Joe Menola
Subject: Re: /dev/tun Was: Re: [Qemu-devel] Win98: how to exchange data with Linux
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:12:00 -0500

On Thu July 15 2004 8:39 pm, Jim C. Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 08:01:23PM -0500, Joe Menola wrote:
> > > DHCP from the router will not work. Assuming that you've made the above
> > > change and are using the 192.168.254.* subnet, the router/gateway for
> > > Win98 is 192.168.254.254 and you can assign it any ip address you want
> > > in the subnet, for example 192.168.254.135 should work. You can also do
> > >
> > > /sbin/dhcpd tap0
> > >
> > > after you set up vde and install a DHCPd server. That works great for
> > > me. (I can give you my dhcpd.conf file if you decide to go this route.)
> >
> > Please do. I've installed a DHCPd server, I doubt that I have dhcpd.conf
> > setup properly.
>
> I attach a modified version here. I've changed the IPs to reflect your
> subnet (mine is 192.168.1.*) and I've deleted the section I had that gave
> out fixed ip addresses to certain mac addresses.
>
> You'll have to edit the domain name options and the netbios name server
> option yourself.
>
> If this one gives a syntax error I'll send my original, unmodified
> dhcpd.conf file.

Your dhcpd.conf file worked fine. Thank you.

I still wasn't able to get vbe to work. Everything looked in order, but no
connection. I may have messed up the install of vbe.

Anyway, I decided to try and configure tun0 direct. After *much* ado I've
finally got my connection (almost). I would have never pulled it off with the
knowledge gained from you.

My Qemu network now connects to network shares, and I have a working internet
connection under Linux guests.
For some reason, I cannot get internet on Win98. Network shares works fine but
no net. Even switching to -user-net doesn't help, so it's probably a Windows
problem.

Only thing left to try is reinstall Windows and see if that helps.

Just wanted to update, and throw a final thanks at ya. :)

-jm