qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Installing a guest WXP on a MacOS X host

From: Michael L Torrie
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Installing a guest WXP on a MacOS X host
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:38:57 -0600

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 09:06, Alexandre Tolmos wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm new to QEMU and I'd like to know how to boot a Windows XP
> installation CDROM from MacOS X. Do I need to create an ISO image from
> my WXP CDROM or can I boot directly from it e.g. using "-cdrom
> /dev/<device>" ?

Maybe.  The device name under OS X can be found by running disktool -l
from the command line.  then the dev entry will be /dev/disk# where # is
the number you found running disktool.

> Which tools are needed to create an ISO image from a CDROM ?

Probably the easiest is to use "disktool -l" to determine the device
name of the cd (which should be automounted).  then do:
dd if=/dev/disk# of=image.iso

Replace the disk# with the proper disk name from disktool's output.

Michael