qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Best way to get 6GB = 3 x 2GB + soft raid?

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Best way to get 6GB = 3 x 2GB + soft raid?
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 18:28:33 -0400

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 04:24:27PM -0500, Joe Menola wrote:
> On Sun August 1 2004 4:15 pm, Ross Kendall Axe wrote:
> > Ronald wrote:
> > | Le Sun, 01 Aug 2004 12:17:22 -0400, Garth Dahlstrom a ?crit :
> > |

> > | The next limitation could be your file system if you are using fat
> > | with an old windows that is 4G, don't know about ntfs.
> >
> > 2GB actually on FAT32, regardless of Windows version. If the OP is using
> > a 'doze version that's so old as to not support FAT32, he's screwed
> > anyway really. I believe NTFS can do better, at least in recent versions.
> >
> > Ross
>
> 2GB on fat16, not sure about fat32's limit, but it's well above 2gb. NTFS, I
> believe is only limitted to actual disk space.
>
> -jm

Not clear on what this thread was about ...

For filesystem size limits:

fat16 is limited to 4GB. fat32's is theoretically 2TB (yes thats terabytes) but
most versions of windows can only read up to 32GB (Windows XP can only make a
new FAT32 partition up to 32GB but I'm not clear on whether or not it can
read a larger pre-exising one). Maximum file size for NTFS is not stated.

File size limits:

fat16 is 2GB, fat32 is only 4GB tho. NTFS is theoretically unlimited.